What does a great paraprofessional need to know and do? Find out in this handy survival guide, equally useful for the brand-new paraprofessional or the 20-year classroom veteran. Packed with friendly guidance, practical tips, and relatable first-person stories, this book reveals the best ways to provide effective, respectful services to students in inclusive classrooms.
Julie Causton-Theoharis, a teacher, professor, and educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience as a paraprofessional instructor, knows exactly how to help readers stop feeling overwhelmed so they can start making a difference. She answers all the urgent questions paraprofessionals have as they navigate their complex job in the inclusive classroom, showing readers how to:
- provide skillful and subtle support to students while encouraging their independence
- resolve challenging behavior in gentle and positive ways
- find students' strengths and match support practices to them
- fade their support
- make informed decisions about content-specific accommodations, modifications, and adaptations
- presume competence and keep expectations high
- facilitate peer supports and friendships
- partner with teachers, SLPs, psychologists, families, and other members of the educational team
- relieve their own stress and avoid burnout
To help them master the daily ups and downs of the inclusive classroom, paraprofessionals will get ready-to-use practical content: tips for supporting students with specific disabilities, helpful question-and-answer sections, examples of successful problem-solving, a quick-guide to acronyms in education, easy ideas for improving teamwork, and more.
The essential guide for every paraprofessional—and a must-have for the educators and other professionals who support them—this empowering book takes the guesswork out of a critical classroom role and helps students with disabilities reach their full potential.
Click here to watch a recording of Dr. Causton's webinar - The Role of the Paraprofessional in the Inclusive Class
Download a free and printable 'Paraprofessional job description' poster for your classroom